Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Writing Lab: Do What You Love and Love What You Do


Prompt: "Is your career your passion? Are you in love with your job or your field of work?"

I think that I'm somewhere in between on this one, as I have mixed feelings about working as a freelance copywriter and ghostwriter. On the one hand, I would definitely say that writing, information, and language are things that I'm absolutely in love with and have been since I was a little girl. I also feel comfortable saying that if God really did have something specific in mind as far as what he wanted me to do with my life when he made me, it probably has a lot to do with being a writer. I have always been a writer in one capacity or another and I know that I will continue to be a writer until the day I die. It's too big a part of who I am for me to do anything else.

On the other hand though, I'm not a very service-oriented person. I have some great clients and I'm incredibly grateful to be able to earn my entire living working for myself out of my home, but I can't honestly say that I'm passionate about the type of writing people are actually willing to pay me to do. A good 90% of it is incredibly dry and boring -- mostly informative content meant for company blogs, brochures, and so forth. I'm very good at what I do, so I make decent money and have no problem finding steady work, but I don't really take a lot of personal joy in the actual work itself. 

I'm still in the process of figuring out where I should attempt to take my writing next, because copywriting isn't really something I can see myself sticking with for the long haul given the choice. I do know that I'd like to make a living writing more of the things I really enjoy writing. Pieces based on my own ideas and insights. Pieces that I would write whether or not I were being paid to do so. I could see myself becoming at least borderline passionate about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment