Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Writing Lab: In the Eyes of Readers


Prompt: "How do you think a reader would describe your blog?"

If sharing my journal-style writings with other people has taught me anything over the years, it's that I don't usually have an accurate picture in my head of how other people view what they read from me. I don't see my blogs as having a lot of potential appeal to anyone besides myself. When I'm not working, I spend most of my time reading, thinking, or hanging out with Seth watching TV or something. I don't get out a lot. I don't really travel or care to maintain much of a social life, so... like... 98% of what I post is pure navel gazing. I'm talking about myself. Or else I'm reacting to something that happened more than I'm recording it. It's hard for me to imagine that not being kind of a bore to an outsider.

Even so, I'm consistently told by people that do read my writing that they enjoy it. I've heard that I have an interesting voice and an unusual outlook in regards to a lot of things. People have told me they enjoy my humor, my candor, and the unapologetic way I choose to express myself these days. Those that don't like me or my writing have accused me of being a lot of things -- too cynical, too self-absorbed, too blunt, too much of an over-thinker. However, I've yet to have a reader tell me they find me boring, which is really my only worry.


That said, I think a reader would probably describe any one of my blogs as more of a journal than anything else. They'd see it as a look into the head of someone who's smart and contemplative, if a little eccentric and disenchanted with life at times. It would probably feel like you are having a look into a personal diary that someone just happened to leave open on the coffee table. Or at least that's my speculation, which is based on people's reactions to other blogs I've kept over the years -- blogs that were pretty much exactly like this one in nature, tone, and content. 

No comments:

Post a Comment