Thursday, June 2, 2016

Writing Lab: On the News and Where It Comes From


Prompt: "Has the place you've gotten your news changed over the years? Where did you get it 10 years ago?"

As much as it pains me to say it, I didn't even care about the news until a couple of years ago. Intellectually speaking, I was interested in the past (history), but found the present (news) to be insufferably boring. The fact that it was happening right here and right now to the same everyday people I see on the streets made it ordinary to me and I wasn't interested in the ordinary as a young person. That said, I probably got what little news I was actually exposed to from friends, coworkers, and acquaintances. I never voluntarily read newspapers or watched the news on television though. Like I said, I really just didn't care.

The past few years have found me really interested in becoming a well-rounded, informed person for a change though. Digital media and inexpensive all-you-can-consume subscription services were making it so easy for me to explore new topics of interest, so I thought "why not". That's when I started reading news magazines like Time and Newsweek on a weekly basis. At first I really had to force myself to do it, but now I look forward to checking out one or both of those each weekend. There's just so much to be interested in -- medical/scientific advancements, social issues, archaeological discoveries. Politics and diplomatic relations are only a small part of the equation, although those topics can be interesting at times as well. 


Actually exposing myself to more news from trusted, impartial sources has changed me a lot as a person over the past couple of years and I'd like to think it's for the better. I'll always be kind of a recluse that's more interested in my own little world than the bigger social picture, but I've also come to feel I have a duty to stay informed. Anyone who dares to call themselves an intellectual does. The world is actually a pretty interesting place, even right here in the present. Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment