Friday, June 17, 2016

Writing Lab: Tell or Be Told

Prompt: "Do you like to observe things for yourself, or do you prefer people to tell you things?"

I prefer to observe things for myself. I don't trust other people's ability to be observant enough to paint an accurate picture of something that's happened. I really don't trust others not to embellish or twist facts to suit agendas of their own. Far too many people get creative when telling stories because they want to look like a hero or seem better than they actually are.

When I really want or need to know something specific, I probably don't have the time or the patience to sort through whatever was said and make guesses as to how much of it was bullshit. I want to know the facts so I can get right to work making decisions, writing articles, or whatever else I may be looking to do based on the situation. If I do my own homework and make my own observations, I never have to doubt the reality of the situation, as I trust myself implicitly.


I wasn't always this way though. Most people that know me at present really can't picture me being like this, but naturally speaking, I'm a complete Type B personality. If we lived in a perfect world, I'd far prefer to follow rather than lead. I'd prefer to let other people make the great majority of my decisions and take care of things for me. I'd definitely rather not be the one to take the initiative or stick my neck out. But unfortunately this isn't a perfect world. Trusting, passive people like I used to be wind up getting used, especially if anything about who they are could even remotely be considered useful or valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment