Saturday, January 30, 2021

Down with January and Onward to February

 

Mercury retrograde really managed to sneak up on me this month, as I woke up this morning to a surprise notification from my favorite astrology app that it had started. (Yes, if you are not already aware, I'm into astrology, although I do like to think I'm pretty sensible about it.) I'm usually better about keeping on top of significant aspects, but I've been so scattered this month. Mercury retro would definitely explain why I've been having more trouble communicating lately, though. 

I've been feeling unusually talkative lately, so I've actually been tweeting and posting on Facebook with some regularity. However, I've also been managing to step in it a lot. Being misunderstood online isn't usually a massive problem for me, but I've had it happen a handful of times over the past week or so. One of the times even involved a fellow Medium author I look up to a lot. I felt so bad about that particular instance, I even sent him a rare Facebook message to apologize, but yeah. I haven't exactly been my smoothest this week. 

I am starting to feel a bit more like myself in general, though, and I sense my post-holiday blahs are finally lifting a little bit. After an abysmal start to the month, I finally got back up to speed with my self-imposed Medium schedule. I even miraculously managed to get my monthly newsletter for Elevated Living out on time as of this morning. This week will mark the start of a new month and a fresh set of goals, which I find I'm looking forward to. 

Among other things, I've been focusing on publishing more often to publications other than my own. That's a stretch for me, as I love the expressive freedom that comes with self-publishing or sticking to my own publication, but I also love the reach more established pubs let me take advantage of. It's time to get back to work as far as building my audience goes, as I'm determined to keep building on last year's successes.

........

I suppose it's time to start thinking more seriously about the upcoming February holidays, as well. I haven't given much thought to Valentine's Day this year, so we'll probably just keep that simple with a nice homemade pasta dinner or something. Lately, Seth's been obsessed with "big meatball," my personal version of spaghetti and meatballs. It's basically exactly what it sounds like -- instead of lots of smaller balls, everyone just gets one big one that's been slow-simmered in sauce all day over their spaghetti. Not only is it delicious, but the smell of the sauce and the meatballs makes the house smell amazing all day.

If I'm not mistaken, Valentine's Day falls on a Sunday this year, so I'll likely want to keep things low-key and relaxed anyway. A nice home-cooked meal and an evening spent vegging out in front of the big screen sound like just the thing. We've been into shows about medieval England lately, so we're currently rewatching The Tudors, but perhaps something more relationship-focused that isn't about a narcissistic king that killed no fewer than two of his six wives. Still, we also like celebrating Black History Month in February, so we'll see what sounds the most fun that day -- maybe something like Loving that fits both occasions.

We have a really early Easter this year, so that means Mardi Gras falls just a couple of days after Valentine's Day. I'm especially excited this year because I special-ordered a king cake all the way from New Orleans. It's even going to come with beads, a little plastic baby, and the whole nine yards. I've always wanted a king cake for Mardi Gras, but they pretty much don't exist where I live in California, and I've never quite mustered the courage to try baking one. Goldbelly to the rescue once again!

Beyond little things like that that I'm sure are of little interest to anyone who doesn't know me personally, there's not much else going on right now. But given how jacked January was, especially toward the beginning, I'm more than happy with boring right now. It's been giving me time and space to come back to myself and engage in some much-needed self-care -- crucial, considering we're still in the middle of a global pandemic and all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment