Friday, July 5, 2013

Independence Day 2013

Wolfie With Our American Flag
As my American friends and readers already know, yesterday was Independence Day here in America. It's been so terribly hot here in Monterey over the past couple of weeks, but it finally started to cool down late in the day yesterday. Somehow we hadn't really gotten into the spirit of barbecuing yet this year, but 4th of July is always a great time to start, so that's exactly what we did. 

We also finally got around to taking some new pictures of ourselves and each other. I don't know how it is that we got so bad about this -- especially me. Granted I've never been someone who likes having their picture taken or who feels comfortable in front of a camera, but I definitely used to actually be in the habit of taking pictures on a regular basis anyway -- certainly at least a few new ones a month or something. This was especially the case since I've been so active online for so many years and plenty of uploaded photos are really the only way other people can see you and feel like they know you.

Me by the Barbecue Area
One of the reasons I've become less communicative over the years is probably that I don't have as much actual need to be otherwise anymore. Since I have Seth to talk to, ask for advice, or hang out with, I don't actively seek out direct social interaction online out of sheer loneliness anymore. Also, since my writing business took off to the point where I have a lot of regular clients, it's not really necessary for me to get out there and network quite as often either. I'm plenty busy as it is without doing a whole lot of self promotion these days. In other words, the original motives I had for building the online presence I currently have don't really exist anymore, so I've been sort of trying to figure out what my new motivations are and should be.   

I forget who said it originally, but I know there's a saying that goes: "Never allow yourself to forget the little things, because someday you will realize they were the big things." Or something like that anyway. When I look back on my own memories, I would have to say that I find that to be true. I would also say that I've learned the hard way to actually record those memories -- by writing about them in a journal, taking pictures, or both. If I don't, I eventually forget what a certain day was like, what I was feeling, what I was thinking about, or why I felt it was such a nice day in the first place.

Sweet and Sour Turkey Burger With Onion on Sourdough
That said, we had a really wonderful 4th of July yesterday. Thankfully, I'd already finished my assignments for the week, so I had no excuse not to take some time off and just have fun for the holiday.

We enjoyed the fresh air and sunset while listening to Mumford and Sons's Sigh No More. Last summer, they played the Monterey Fairgrounds and although we weren't able to get tickets to go, we could hear the music perfectly from our barbecue area and decided to grill burgers while we listened. Now every time I hear that album, it reminds me of grilling delicious food and just taking some time away from work and the computer to enjoy life for a moment. Naturally, Mumford and Sons is now a barbecue staple thanks to its new ability to invoke pleasant memories and good feelings.

Seth grilled us some delicious Monterey Jack sausages, as well as sweet and sour turkey burgers with onions on grilled sourdough English muffins. We also had a great time watching the sunset, listening to music, drinking red wine, and watching what we could see of people's fireworks from outside the house. Tomorrow, the Scottish games will be in town again, so we'll probably take a walk up that way and spend some time there as well. It finally feels like it's really summer in spirit and not just because of the heat for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment