Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Writing Lab: Changing, Evolving, Regrouping


Prompt: "Some people find it difficult to rebalance their lives after making a big shift. Do you welcome change or struggle with it?"

I don't think that anyone really likes change. My own personal feelings about it honestly depend on what kind of change we're talking about. Obviously, I don't like being forced out of a situation that was comfortable or beneficial for me, but if we're talking about a situation that had been stagnant or unpleasant for a long time, then I welcome change with open arms. I'm not one of those people that prefers the devil I know. If something sucks, I will always be willing to take a chance in the hopes that it could get better. 

I've even been that way when it comes to major life changes. For instance, I was slowly suffocating to death in my failed marriage years ago, so I was happy to reach a place where I felt like I could ask for a divorce, move out, and eventually start a relationship with someone new (not necessarily in that order, but that's a story for another day). Facing a change as monumental as divorce was super scary. It obviously would have been much easier to just stay where I was and continue with the person I was already with, but the possibility of one day being in a relationship that would be everything I wanted and needed it to be instead was motivation enough to see things through. I figured that even if things didn't go so well, I'd at least be able to say I tried instead of wondering "what if" and continuing to settle for a situation that made me unhappy.

Whether I'm the one instigating things or not though, I tend to roll with the punches when it comes to change and I do my best to embrace it as an inevitable part of life. I trust that if God is so clearly trying to remove something from my life, that it might be for my own good. I also choose to trust that there's something better waiting for me right around the corner and I immediately start watching for whatever that "something better" might turn out to be so that it can start as soon as possible. At the end of the day, what choice do I have? 

No comments:

Post a Comment